This is an image that I came across accidentally but I realized that it seems to be perfect for this assignment of finding a picture portraying visual rhetoric. It depicts the comparison of Apple / Mac Books versus computers that run on Windows or in other words, a PC vs. a Mac. It uses a visual metaphor (if that is possible) by using cars to represent computer systems in order to get the intended message across. Windows is represented by an old, crappy car with a very complicated ‘engine.’ The mechanic that is working on the car looks exhausted as well as confused, not knowing what to do with all the loose cords and cables that are coming out of the car. On the other hand, the Mac is represented by a car that is definitely much newer, updated and futuristic. The engine is extremely simple with only an off and on switch. The mechanic for this car is also very happy with a smug smile on his face and standing up tall as he looks across toward the other car.
The main argument of the picture is that Macs are much simpler, newer, and more visually appealing than PCs. This is apparent because of, first of all and most obvious, the car that is assigned to represent each side of the argument. The brown and less valuable car makes the Windows PC seem like it is a cheap computer that is very complicated and almost not doable for the user. The Mac’s car is white and shiny with a design that is modern and up-to-date. The simplicity of the engine gives the appeal to a customer or onlooker that the Mac Books are much easier to use and to keep up with. Color is a very strong factor in the argument and plays into the message. The Windows side displays brown tones and dull neutral colors which give it less appeal. The Mac side is just the opposite. The car, the mechanic, AND the Apple symbol not only all match, but use white and bright blue to draw more attention to it and is more overall pleasing to the eye.
When I first looked at this image, the large Apple and Windows symbols were the first things that I noticed. Next, my eyes moved toward the right side of the image because of the bright colors used, or the half that represents the Apple Mac Books. The position of the objects also helps convey the comparison more vividly since the image is basically split down the middle. If the picture was changed so that all objects were one solid color or only the outisde edge that contrasts with the white background was visible, it would seem like there were only two objects in the picture meaning that the objects that are touching show that they correlate or go together. The symmetry of the picture also help point out that the main intent of the picture is to compare two alike concepts because it uses fairly equal objects in terms of type of object, size and proportion. The quality of the car Is where the difference is apparent and main argument comes out.
I found this image from a place that was displaying the picture, not from the original website, so I do not know who released or created it. Nonetheless, the picture is aimed at the audience that is looking to buy and own a computer. Technically, the computer-buying/owning population is a large one. Anywhere from 10-year-old to 70-year-old people can and do own computers. Considering this, the picture is most likely not directed at those on the extreme ends of the population considering they probably do not buy the computer for themselves. Also, this picture probably does not mean anything (besides having two cars in it) to a 10-year-old because they would not know about the ongoing argument between Mac Books and Windows operating systems.
Finally, I think this picture is effective and I do not even agree with the portrayed message. Personally, I like Windows PCs much better than Mac Books but that is fairly irrelevant. If I did not have very much prior knowledge of the subjects, I would find this picture very convincing. The message is conveyed clearly and simply without any words involved. It uses equivalent comparisons that most anyone would understand.
2 comments:
I liked many of the things you saw and described in the picture you picked. I noticed though you didnt talk much about how the picture may be portrayed to people who know little about computers. To me this picture is a simple, yet effective sales pitch for Apple computers. For people who are un educated and know little about computers this may be all the influence they need to go look at apple computers. Its the first step for some to start buying apple computers. It is a simple cartoon, which may even attract a lot younger audiences as well. Its so simple that children can be easily effected by the much better looking car and therefore go and look at apples. Otherwise you described the picture really well according to, color, message, pose of the characters, etc.
I think that you fully understood the argument in this visual argument. I also really like how you gave your own personal opinion at the end of your blog. I think that the visual argument was a great example and I agree with you, the argument is effective.
Post a Comment